"Royal Navy and Maritime Book Reviews" Provided by Rob Jerrard
HMS Roebuck ( F195 ).
She was an "R" Class Fleet Destroyer ordered with 4th Emergency Flotilla from Scotts of Greenock in May 1940. Construction was delayed because of priority for repair work. She was laid down on 19th June 1941 and launched on 10th December 1942 (See details below). After salvage work build was completed on 10th June 1943. Following a successful WARSHIP WEEK National Savings campaign in March 1942 this warship was 'adopted' by Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. She was the 15th RN ship to bear this name, last used for a pre-WW1 destroyer sold in 1919. A mercantile of this name fought against the Armada but it was first used for a warship in 1637.
Photograph is dated 15th July 1953
B a t t l e H o n o u r s
ARMADA 1558 - CADIZ 1596 - PORTLAND 1653 - GABBARD 1653 - BEACHY HEAD 1690 - BARFLEUR 1692 - VELEZ MALAGA 1704 - MARTINIQUE 1794 - ST LUCIA 1794 - EGYPT 1801 - CHINA 1860 - SABANG 1944 - BURMA 1944-45
Badge : on a Field White, a Roebuck guardant proper.
Post War Service
HMS Roebuck sailed from Simonstown on 15th November 1945 on completion of post refit trials and arrived at Plymouth on 7th December. Early in 1946 she was deployed with the Local Flotilla after a period in 'Care and Maintenance'. This destroyer escorted HM Battleship Duke Of York during a Royal Visit to the Channel Islands in June that year. Following the successful conversion of sister ships Rocket and Relentless she was selected for conversion to a Type 15 Anti-submarine Frigate. On completion in May 1953 she commissioned for service in the 5th Frigate Squadron, Mediterranean Fleet and served abroad till July 1956 when placed in Reserve at Plymouth. During 1957 she refitted for training duties and joined the Dartmouth Squadron. Recommissioned in May 1960 she joined an Escort Squadron and remain on the operational list until returning to pay- off into Reserve at Plymouth in 1962.Before being placed on the Disposal List the ship was de-equipped in HM Dockyard at Devonport before being used for Underwater Explosion Trials at Rosyth by NCRE. Sold to BISCO for demolition by TW Ward she was towed to the breaker's yard at Inverkeithing on 8th August 1968.